The 5 levels of leadership:
- Position—people follow you and do what you say because they have to do it.
- Permission—people follow you because they want to.
- Production—people follow you because of what you have done for them.
- People Development—people follow because of what you have done for them.
- Pinnacle—people follow because of who you are and what you represent.
One of the big insights for me reading this book is that I have to start over again with each new person, each new project, team, client. Maybe not to level one but often down a notch or two. I have to prove myself. It’s humbling and good to remember this.
Looking back on my career I wonder if I could’ve mastered the transitions well from one level to the next what affect it would’ve had on results I was after and the people I worked with. One thing is for sure, now I can be aware of what level I’m on with each new project and build accordingly.
If you haven’t read the book you really should take the time. If you have read it, it might be worth pulling out and reviewing. A clear view of your status goes a long way in helping you reach your goals.